Pierre Aveline; c.1656 - 1722.
A Parisian engraver, print-publisher and print-seller, he probably trained with Adam Pérelle and, like him, specialized in topographical representations.
He engraved in suites many views of Paris and of provincial, European and African cities, mixing etching and burin.
In 1685 he obtained a royal license for ten years, authorizing him to reproduce “Le Profil des Maisons Royales”. Among the 412 items that comprise his life work there are only two portraits and two prints of historical subjects.
His son Pierre-Alexandre continued the engraving business till his death in 1760, and was well known for his burin renditions of François Boucher oils.
Angers, ville capitale du duché d'Anjou,….
Origins of the map.
Basel born Matthäus Merian, engraver and publisher in Frankfurt, teamed first with Autrian artist Martin Zeiler, then with his son, to produce starting in 1640 a series of “Topographia”. After his death in 1650, the family pursued the work till the early 1700's to reach a total of twenty one.
Each Topographia was considered the best “guide” to a certain part of the world, it was illustrated with numerous intricate engravings, in particular showing faithfully the details of monuments which have been since remodeled or leveled.
The Topographia relative to France, “Topographia Galliae, Oder Beschreibung und Contrafaitung.”, was issued by Caspar Merian in 1655 and again in 1661 and 1666. It comprised 4 volumes in quarto, with 321 engraved plates.
For Angers, there were at least two bird's eye views: from the north east and from the south west.
This rare and charming bird's eye view (10 5/8” X 7 3/8”) is a reduced, cropped and “populated” remake of the original view from the south west.
The main building on the right is the castle of King René, and right behind it is the Saint Maurice Cathedral. In the middle, on the west bank of the Maine River is one of the “Chain Tower” (a chain was pulled across the river to force fluvial traffic to pay toll, another chain was set upstream; la haute chaîne). This tower was taken out to make room for a bridge: the Pont de la Basse Chaîne (the Bridge of the down stream chain). the large church on its left is the trinity Church.
No text on verso.