SDUK (Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge).
The SDUK, as the society was known, was devoted to social
reform, and had for objective to encourage broad education.
As such it engaged in a host of publications: penny magazines,
encyclopedias, self-help guides, atlases.. Hence the production
and regular updating of affordable geographical/political/economical/historical
maps and city plans.
It employed several engravers of lesser rank (such as J&C
Walker and W B Clarke), and printers (first Baldwin & Cradock,
then Chapman & Hall among othersfor later editions).
Together, these maps formed one of the best known Atlas of
North America XIV Florida.
This medium size map was designed for a first edition in 1834, the date of printing of this specific example is not known, possibly as late as 1846.
This map (12" 1/4 X 15" 3/8, at the "neat line") of the Florida Territory (at
it was known after its cession by Spain, between 1821, and its
accession to full fledged statehood in 1845).
It offers fascinating
- Only fifteen counties are identified to account for the
land outside the Indian reservations.
- Present day Miami is not shown, because its predecessor,
Fort Dallas, will not be erected until 1837. Same for Fort
Myers (also known as Fort Harvie, 1841), and Fort Lauderdale
(1838). On the other hand Fort King (now Ocala) is clearly
marked, hosting the Seminole Agency. Also shown is Fort Brooke
(established in 1824 at today's Tampa location) here marked
as "cantonment" on the banks of the Hillsborough River.
- The 36 square miles of the Lafayette land grant is clearly
delineated near Tallahassee. Offered to the marquis in 1824,
and promptly settled, it was sold to private investors in
- The Cape Florida lighthouse built in 1825 does not seem
to be properly located: it should be on Key Biscayne (Biscano
- The huge Seminole reservation is mostly void of any details,
except for "Indian paths", and seemingly military roads.
- Lake Okeechobee, here called Lake Macaco, is placed south
of its real location.
- The track of the then projected canal linking St Mary (Georgia)
to St Marks on the Gulf.
- And a slew of intriguing items: natural bridges, stores
(trading post), Indian cow pens,.
No text on verso.